Weekend Brunch Idea- Granola Bar
In most respects I am as much of a New Yorker as they come. I was born and raised on the island of Manhattan and do not plan to leave anytime soon. We might move someday if we decide to give baby girl a sibling and need more space but that would not be for several years. Even then, the farthest we would go is Brooklyn. As a NYC "lifer" I have been taking taxis practically since birth. I always know which route I want to take depending on the time of day and never, ever let the driver decide. I still catch myself calling Manhattan "The City," which I realize is a little closed-minded but old habits die hard!
Despite all of my native New Yorky-ness there is one quality I possess that in very un New York. I hate brunch! While most of my fellow New Yorkers look forward to long heavy meals on a saturday or sunday afternoon I have never been able to get into it. I don't like eating allot during the day as I find it slows me down and makes me feel sluggish. I am not a fan of eggs, pancakes and other typical brunch fair. Nothing sounds worse to me than drinking Mimosas and Bloody Marys at noon and being hung over by 2pm!
My dislike of brunch aside, friends are family are always asking me for some healthy ideas to serve at their own brunches. While my first instinct would be to suggest a variety of green juice, I realize this is not what most people are looking for!
A healthy granola bar is a great idea for any breakfast or brunch gathering. Your guests can create their own bowls based on their personal tastes and desires. Similar to a Chia Pudding Bar it guarantees everyone gets what they want.
- One or two types of natural, sugar free, gluten free granola. Besides my own homemade variety I like Hail Merry Grawnola and Purely Elizabeth
- A few non-dairy milk options such as OMilk Almond and Cashew Milk
- A variety of fresh fruits such as blueberries and raspberries
- A variety of dried fruit
- Some "fun" topping such as dried coconut or dark chocolate chips
- Set out all of the supplies in various bowls and let your guests go to town! Much better than booze, pancakes and eggs if you ask me!
Have a great weekend! Mine includes my evening, cocktail party baby shower (as I said- not a brunch fan) and finishing up our nursery!