I am embarrassed to admit this. I ordered take out last night. In fact, we have ordered takeout or picked up dinner to go the majority of nights the past few weeks. To say I have been in a cooking rut is the understatement of the year. The past few months have been so busy between Hermione, several large work projects (stay tuned for details) and some major apartment redesigning that cooking has fallen by the wayside. By the time I put Hermione to bed at night I am so exhausted I can't even begin to think about making dinner. Add to this my beloved Sun In Bloom opening a takeout spot down the street and you can see why I have not been cooking as much as I would like.
A few weeks ago while on a playdate I mentioned my cooking dry spell to a dear friend (who also happens to be an amazing chef). Being a new mom herself she understood my need for some new, simple meals ideas that I can prep ahead of time and complete in the small window between Hermione's bedtime (7pm) and my own (9:30pm). One of my favorite suggestions she gave me was a version of this salad. Comprised of raw and cooked elements this salad is throughly satisfying and not at all boring. I have been prepping the dressing, roasted sweet potatoes and fennel ahead of time and then quickly throwing the whole thing together at night. The best part of this salad is that if you are short on walnuts, or figs, or any element it still holds up!
Arugula, Sweet Potato and Radicchio Salad with Walnuts, Roasted Fennel, Dried Figs and Cilantro Dressing
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup chopped radicchio
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 8 dried figs, quarterd
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2-3 T lemon juice
- pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Slice the sweet potato into cubes and place on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Remove the fronds and bottom from the fennel, slice thin and place on a second silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Dry roast the sweet potato and fennel until slightly soft ( about 30 mins for the sweet potato and 20-25 for the fennel).
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by combining the olive oil, lemon juice, cilantro and sea salt in a jar. Shake well and adjust to taste.
- Divide the arugula between two salad bowls.
- Top each bowl with half the radicchio, roasted sweet potato, fennel, walnuts and figs
- Dress each salad with 2-3 T of the cilantro dressing.