Brrrrrr. It's been so cold outside that your face hurts as soon as you walk out the door. Hermione is not a fan. She even says " too cold! too cold" when then wind hits her face in the stroller! On days when going outside is just not an option Hermione and I have gotten creative about ways to have fun indoors. One of her favorite activities is playing with homemade Play Dough. The real stuff is way too toxic for my taste so I have been making her batches of an easy homemade version using the recipe below. I like to add a few drops of essential oil such as peppermint, lavender or tangerine to the dough to make it smell heavenly!
Homemade Play Dough
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Natural food coloring
- essential oil (peppermint and lavender are our favorites!)
- In a pan over medium heat mix the flour, water, cream of tartar, sea salt and coconut oil together until it starts to thicken
- Add in your natural food coloring and a few drops of the essential oil of your choice
- Keep stirring until the dough begins to gather around the spoon and take on a smooth texture
- Move the dough to a plate or piece of wax paper to cool before playing
Keep in mind that natural food coloring creates pretty, pale pastels so don't expect the heavily pigmented colors you are used to!
To make our dough playing even more fun we like to add cookie, cutters, popsicle sticks, g
( these are Hermione's favorite!) and colored feathers into the mix!
Happy dough making!
xoxo Hermione and Mommy