As much as I love celebrating Valentine’s Day, I don’t love going out to dinner on February 14th. Similar to New Year’s Eve every restaurant seems to only offer a bagillion dollar prix fix menu filled with way too much food for my taste. Cooking for others is how I express my love. Why let someone else do it for me on Valentine's Day?
This salad would be a beautiful centerpiece to a romantic Valentine’s dinner at home. Pair with a little champagne (float some of your pomegranate seeds in the glass to make it extra special) and some homemade truffles and you have the makings of a delicious, romantic, healthful evening. End the evening by making (and using!) some homemade body scrub. You can thank me later.
Valentine’s Kale Salad with Beets and Pomegranate
- 1 bunch of kale (about 4 cups)
- 1-2 medium beets roasted (you can either roast your own or use pre-cooked beets like Love Beets)
- 2 T mellow white miso
- 2 T lemon juice
- ½ an avocado
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- If using Love Beets skip to step 5
- Preheat oven to 350
- Wash beets thoroughly. Wrap each beet in tin foil and bake at 350 for one hour.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, gently rub off the skin using a cloth.
- Slice beets into very thin rounds, set aside
- In a bowl “massage” the avocado, lemon juice, and miso into the kale until it is soft and tender.
- Divide the massaged kale between the center of two plates.
- Surround the kale with the sliced beets rounds
- Top each salad with pomegranate seeds