Basketball, Sushi and Kale Salad
Sushi, and more specifically nori/seaweed and I have a long history. I have been eating sushi and sashimi since I was very little. I am the youngest child in my family by many years and I was always a little adult, with little adult sensibilities and tastes.
When I was in middle school my dad and I had Knicks seasons tickets (this was in the Patrick Ewing days when the Knicks were good, before they got BAD, and then good again). We would go to every single home game, and beforehand would go for sushi. Just me and him. I always loved seaweed salads and would order one every time (I still do).
My love for seaweed and basketball has not waned much over the years, except now I tend to route for the Celtics instead of the Knicks. That's what happens when you fall in love with and marry the world's largest Boston sports fan.
The other night I was making dinner to have while watching the Celtics game with Doug. Looking in the pantry I discovered a package of nori sheets tucked away towards the back. I knew their crunchy, salty texture would be the perfect addition to this slightly asian kale salad. With miso in the dressing, and sesame seeds and nori on top this salad is my personal version of those I enjoyed all throughout the 80's and 90's (and today!) with my dad.
For me basketball and seaweed will always go together.
Kale Salad with Cucumber and Nori
- 1 bunch of kale torn into small pieces by hand
- 1/4 cup of tahini (preferably raw tahini)
- 2 T mellow white miso paste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 of a large cucumber
- 2 sheets of nori
- 1 T Gomasio
- In a bowl massage the tahini, miso and lemon juice into the kale until it is soft and evenly coated.
- Chop the cucumber into wedges
- Tear the nori sheets into small pieces
- Divide the kale between two bowls and top each with cucumber, nori and Gomasio
- Enjoy while watching the NBA game of your choice